Day in the Life of a Holy Paladin  

Posted by Dristanel in , ,


In effort to test my software for tonight, I shot a video of myself healing Heroic Halls of Reflection. Yes, on purpose. It was intended to be instructional, but because I lost two people and kept doing stupid shit, it's just a non-stop snarkfest directed toward... well, me.

In effort to make this actually useful, here are some things you should know about healing this as a holy paladin:

- Footmen do an AE silence and spell-lock, so move away from them.

- Holy Shock and Flash of Light is going to do a lot of your leg work here; sometimes Holy Light just won't be fast enough.

- Refresh Beacon and Sacred Shield between waves, even if you're glyphed for it. Having it fall off is not fun.

- The first boss requires heavy cleansing.

- If you're getting behind on heals for him, pop BubbleSac and heal up quickly.

- If your group is low on DPS, pop your cooldowns to help mitigate some of the debuff.

- Waves 8 and 9 are particularly nasty, and if someone is left to get sniped from a far, you might lose them.

- With enough haste (potion+food) you can get someone up between waves.

- On that note, use your Divine Plea between waves if you're having mana problems.

- Holy Wrath can buy everyone some time. Use it.

- Turn Evil is excellent for mercs when no other CC is available. Use it.

- Sylvanas has some sort of ab-hardening secret. Use it.

- Blow your cooldowns on the 4th Escape from the Lich King wave.

- Don't get into a rear-end collision with cops sitting right across the street. Oh wait. That one's just for me.


This entry was posted on Friday, March 5, 2010 at Friday, March 05, 2010 and is filed under , , . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

7 comments

I'm not fond of HoR on my Holy Pally. I have yet to do it on my DK and I'm scared. I've had both the worst of the worst groups (yay getting cussed at for being a 'bad healer'!) and groups where I wanted to just kiss everyone for making the run so smooth. I need to remember that tip about Holy Wrath. I often forget I have it. Shame on me.

March 5, 2010 at 4:41 PM
ithilyn  

this is really neat. Any way we can get the video at a larger resolution and at normal speed? I'd like to read what your typing and see what you're doing a little better.

March 10, 2010 at 2:22 PM
*vlad*  

Don't forget you can use Holy Wrath to stun all undead mobs as well as damage them, and you can also use Turn Undead to get one mob out of the fight for a short time.

Most dps will insist on standing in the Well of Corruption, and then wonder why you didn't keep them alive.

Best of all for this fight, get a decent tank.

March 11, 2010 at 10:45 AM

@Endyme I recently got into this (somehow...) on my undergeared restosham. I healed my ass off and got complimented for it at the end, but it wouldn't have been possible without 3 DPS doing over 4k, and three folks being melee for Chain Heal bounce. The composition sadly does make a huge difference!

@ithilyn I'd love to see about making something higher resolution and real-time. Any suggestions on what to record?

@vlad Yeah, the tank can definitely make or break H HoR. And I had put in the note about the Holy Wrath stun and fearing mercs (Turn Evil lasts forever!), but I didn't mention damage. I'll have to amend that; every bit helps. :)

March 11, 2010 at 12:58 PM
ithilyn  

What to record? Any of the encounters in ICC 5 or 10 man would be interesting for sure. For me, especially stuff Saurfang and beyond. What did you use to create the video? Fraps?

March 11, 2010 at 1:39 PM
Anonymous  

well this past night I dusted off my holy pally (cause it was dusty) and before I had the hardest time healing the icc instances (no lie, but in my defense I hardly ever heal and have utterly crappy gear) and for some mysterious reason after getting the vuhdo mod (at the behest of my guild's main healing pally (crazy lil girlie thinks I'd love to heal (she's a nutto that she is))) and for some reason life was significantly less sucky. It may have been because the controls were simplified, it may have been because everything was stuck in %s instead of damage dealt- but in my silly little opinion I think it had more to do with the fact that I was uneasy about the mod and out of practice healing so I didn't fear 90% of my heal output being overheals.

March 13, 2010 at 3:08 AM

Just as jumping makes spells crit, opening your bags while picking a herb makes i drop a Frost Lotus ;)

March 13, 2010 at 11:51 AM

Post a Comment