I Am Not Your Cleanse-Bitch  

Posted by Dristanel in ,

So the above picture, yet again, doesn’t have much to do with my post. Beyond the fact that there’s some sort of mage conspiracy going on. Precious’ Ribbon finally dropped this weekend. Not once, but twice. And who should win them? Not me, naturally. No, the only two mages who consistently raid with us. However, one was Gypsy, so I really can’t grump too much.

Now, for the actual post – a day late because allergies are kicking my butt.

I don’t like to rant. (lol inorite) At least not publicly. That can generally be accomplished just as easily by whispering a friend and blowing off steam. But Sunday night really got to me. So much, in fact, that I’m still thinking about it.

Our 25 man is a bit behind on progress compared to the two 10s we run. One 10 is almost done with the Dragon wing, the other is… well. We won’t talk about that. If I see another sparkly vampire I’m going to bite someone. Just.. not like that. Because it would be too vampirey.

But the 25 has been consistently stuck at Lower Spire, unable to down Festergut or Rotface. We’re getting close, and I think with our regulars there we can get Fester. But our regulars weren’t there, not entirely. So we spent our last half hour poking at Rotface.

I mentioned in an earlier post that I do the cleanses for this fight. In fact, in 25 I do very little else. And for once we had a pretty balanced healing team – two druids, a shaman, a priest, and two holy paladins. So that wasn’t a problem, but for people standing in the way of Slime Spray.

What was a problem is that on our best attempt, chatter erupted in /raid and Vent about the fact that cleanses were being dispelled too quickly. I did agree with that, but had to point out the principle of the thing. Because I’m a pain in the ass, and the person who brought it up, while polite, wasn’t the only one. Oh, and also? Someone else decided I wasn’t cleansing fast enough. And someone else decided I wasn’t healing.

I tried to play it off. Really, I did. I even talked to the other holy paladin about getting some help on healing targets with Mutated Infection once he dipped below 30%. I know I could have done better, and I absolutely don’t deny that. We all need to tweak what we’re doing to succeed. But here’s my problem with all of this:

The loudest complaints on a fight almost always comes from someone who has never healed it.

I realize your DPS rotation coupled with moving out of shit is very difficult – and let’s be honest, I’m only pushing three buttons, right? – but trust me, you don’t know a raid boss until you’ve healed it. We heap the blame on ourselves in spades, and I assure you not all of us are as arrogant as we might appear. I’m just as insecure about this game as I am about everything else. I know we need you. I know you’re trying your best.

But stop being such an insufferable prick. And if you’re going to be that way, roll a healer, gear it to raid, and come do my job for a night.

Thank god for RP therapy.

This entry was posted on Tuesday, February 23, 2010 at Tuesday, February 23, 2010 and is filed under , . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

9 comments

I suck so much at healing I couldn't heal a Totc 5 man without wipes on my pally, I try to stick to dps, my priest is shadow, my pally is ret, my DK is dps unholy, and then I have 2 hunters and a warlock. I suck at healing. So I don't do it. And I certainly don't whine at people for messing up, or struggling, or doing something very very difficult.

February 23, 2010 at 7:46 AM

@Jaedia - I have a lot of respect for great DPS. I'm not one of them, and I never will be. Whenever I play a DPS class in a raid things get... messy.

I think different things are hard in different ways, and I wish people would stop trying to compare apples to oranges. >.<

February 23, 2010 at 7:48 AM

Our ten man team recently got to Dreamwalker on sunday night, and I will tell you that in ten man that fight is enough to shatter the resolve of any healer. Don't get me wrong, I love the mechanics of that fight. But when frost bolts start slowing you just as you jump into a portal which causes your stacks to fall off...Needless to say, I was very unhappy whenever that happened. Add control is absolutly essential in that fight, and I get very grumpy when things interupt my holy light bombing.

Also, unless you have tanks and healers who are undergeard I'd suggest doing Festergut first. He doesn't require nearly as much raid coordination and if you can survive the third pungent blight that fight is much eaiser. Good luck on your 25s!

P.S. DPS yelling at healers about their cleansing reminds me of DPS yelling out "HEALZ!!" in the middle of the raid. F-R-U-S-T-R-A-T-I-N-G.

February 23, 2010 at 12:16 PM

@Phaedra - I raid with Drist, occasionally on the 10 and always on the 25 man. The problem with our 25 man team is that we like to carry whomever wants to go because our raid system is "fair." We literally lose some of our best DPS each week because a hunter doing 700 dps wants to come. So DPS race fights are not our friend. Plus the mechanic of the spores in the Festergut fight seems to elude a lot of the people we raid with. They'll get it eventually, but it takes a lot of practice, as with any fight mechanic that requires movement. We've put more time into Rotface at the moment, so people are learning that quickly and we'll probably be able to get him in the next couple weeks. Hopefully.

@Dristanel - Boss, you want I should take my Arcane Missles and pop someone?

February 23, 2010 at 2:40 PM
This comment has been removed by the author.
February 24, 2010 at 3:34 PM
Traestus  

It's even better when someone tells me to heal Dreamwalker as if the entire point of the encounter has eluded the person that just took 10 minutes to explain it.

February 24, 2010 at 3:36 PM

I hope that was cathartic :)

But, yes, I feel your pain - it seems way too common and easy for people to deal with their wipe-frustrations by blaming the healing team.

February 25, 2010 at 5:18 AM

@Tam - I probably shouldn't rant, because I usually just feel bad later. Even though I've called out no one specifically here, I know who I'm talking about, and yeah. >.<

Somebody's gotta be a scape-goat. Not a space-goat, mind you.

February 25, 2010 at 6:10 AM
Anonymous  

We found an interesting compromise for Rotface 25. We have our DK tank the boss while our paladin tank kites the oozes. The paladin is the only one allowed to cleanse the diseases, since he is in the best position to judge.

I like delegating it to him. He knows when the DPS are in the best position. It also takes the heat off of our healers and lets us focus on healing and staying out of slime. We're still working on avoiding the exploding ooze. It's an ugly learning curve.

February 26, 2010 at 11:29 PM

Post a Comment