Taking a Mental Health Day  

Posted by Dristanel in ,

So in the midst of all the lovey-dovey stuff (a huge thanks to the Blog Azeroth community for the overwhelming response to the Secret Admirer Project, by the way!) I’ve been having a pretty crappy week. I mentioned in an earlier post that my raid team is pretty much falling apart at the seams. And I love my team, I really do. But it’s always been more like ten mercenaries who happen to be working together for a common goal. Missing one person, beyond the role they fill, doesn’t affect us as much as it should.

And it’s driving me nuts because, despite my best efforts, there’s very little I can do about it. I’m not the raid leader; I’m not even a class or healer lead. I really want to help, but it’s driving me crazy to know absolutely nothing. Our Saturdays keep falling by the wayside and we are plummeting in progression. This is the team that was kicking ass and taking names, pushing the 8% mark on Putricide when Plague first came out. That seems like eons ago, now, and it’s not just because we have to gear and acclimate a brand new tank.

But for the time being, I can’t do a damn thing about it. At this point, I feel like an ass for even making suggestions. I’m worried that some folks are suffering from burnout, while others (myself included) really want to do something more than Lower Spire + Rot/Fester every week. Seriously. Fucking sick of the Plague wing, I want to finish it!

And dude, you’re breaking up the band!

Anyway.

Since coming face-to-face with the futility of this farcical flight of fancy (consonance, hell yeah!), I’ve decided to designate a weekly Mental Health Day. This isn’t a break from WoW – I’m too much of an addict for that – it’s simply a break from people. I play MMOs to be around other people, but there are some days I just need everyone to leave me the hell alone.

I started by switching my deathknight’s spec to a blood/unholy hybrid for soloing, then ducked into Strat for a few runs at the Baron’s mount. Then I thought I’d be cocky and try heroic MgT. That worked out so well, I bribed someone to form a raid group and hopped into ZG by my lonesome. Then into Karazhan, downing Attumen and Moroes. Sadly, my wild and crazy rebellion ended with Romeo and Juliet, and while I didn’t get any mounts out of it, I got a Mongoose recipe and a whole lotta feel-better.

It’s nice – and I think very needed – to just tune everyone out and disappear into the game for a while. And though I’ve worked heroic MgT into my daily ‘me’ time, I hope to set aside a weekly ‘get the fuck away from me’ block to solo raids, complete obscure achievements, or track down elusive grey items for RP nonsense.

So let’s hear it: What do you folks do on your Mental Health Day?

This entry was posted on Friday, February 12, 2010 at Friday, February 12, 2010 and is filed under , . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

4 comments

Anonymous  

When we had some bad feeling locally about 10 man raids (a clique formed its own raid and ran raids secretly so as never to have to invite anyone else), I rolled a DK alt on another server and spent some time on that.

There was definitely a feeling of taking a long quiet trip on my own. I used to play with a finnish friend who periodically would leave the guild for a couple of weeks. He called it his 'cabin in the woods' time.

February 13, 2010 at 3:31 AM

@spinksville - Wow, that's pretty low! I know a lot of people toss around the word 'clique' like a salutation these days, but that really *is* a clique! I don't blame you for wanting to get away!

February 13, 2010 at 8:05 AM
Anonymous  

Depends. If I'm feeling social but not like dealing with "hard core junk", I'll login to my shaman and farm herbs. Pretty mindless and necessary, and I can babble on in gchat about random crap.

I wish I had a super-secret alt but I always end up guilding them because I get lonely. Even so, time away on the alt does wonders, even if I'm stubbornly and purposely ignoring gchat.

February 13, 2010 at 10:00 AM

@crankyhealer - I have a bad habit of guilding my super-secret alts too. Either that, or I join the public channels my guild has and give away my identity somehow. Kinda defeats the purpose, eh?

February 14, 2010 at 10:18 AM

Post a Comment